Normally, the new machines I bring home are projects and need a thorough service before even thinking about putting some play into them. This time it’s a bit different. I purchased my first DMD game “Last Action Hero” which was released by Data East in 1993 and it’s in fully working condition. There are a couple of cosmetic issues I want/need to look at, but nothing that’s preventing the game from being played. I still plan to give the machine a going over and inspect each assembly as I like my machines running as optimally as possible. Plus I can’t help myself, I love working on them.
One of my favorite times has arrived again – it’s NEW project time! Just as good as NEW pin day in my book 🙂 This time around, I’ll be performing a repair and service on a 1971 Bally Mariner machine that has made it’s way here from Germany. I’m stepping outside the comfort zone I developed while working on solid state machines and diving into an EM project. All of my Pinball projects to date have been solid state machines that were built between 1979 to 1986. I’m pretty excited about this project as it’s a chance to look at something different and gain more experience with EM’s.
It’s been awhile since my last crap box purchase. I actually wasn’t keen on buying any more as I have built up a large amount of spare second hand parts that have come in handy for my pinball projects. This one however had a few very specific parts I wanted, so I couldn’t resist. At the cost of $12.50AUD, it was hard to go wrong. First up, the largest part here, was a coin door. It’s not in the best condition, but the coin entry and return face plates are in good condition and match those found on my Pinbot machine. This could be useful for parts in the future.
This time I’ve got a serious pile of second hand pinball parts to sort through. Some 40kgs+ of assorted bits and pieces from various machines and manufacturers. This is actually two lots joined together truth be told. I purchased both at the same time and when I collected them, they were all tipped into the same box to bring home. So instead of somehow splitting them up and doing two write ups, I’ve decided to just do single post covering everything. There really is a lot of stuff here to get through. The total cost for the box was around $35AU, which isn’t too bad considering the bulk of it all. There were some items I was specifically after but most of the content is a mystery. I can’t wait to see what’s actually in here 🙂
I’ve managed to build up a backlog of crap boxes to get through. I’ve been focusing on various projects and the spare parts boxes are a low priority. That means they have been sitting around collecting dust. I’ve stopped buying them now as I’ve got more spare parts than I know what to do with. The boxes have come in handy on recent projects, so purchasing them has been worth it. But with my shelves full, there is no need add to it. This post will cover crap box #4 which will be followed by #5 and #6 when I get to them. At a grand total of $21 for the content in this post, it makes the box the most expensive crap box to date, but there was one part here I really wanted. This box looks to have a nice mix of things in it too, so time to dig in 🙂