Not long ago, Starship Fantasy reproduced the large helmet plastic for Bride of Pinbot. When some became available through their distributor here in Australia, I didn’t hesitate to order one for my game. The box then sat on my shelf for a number of months, patiently awaiting the day I’d get around to actually installing it. Finally, that day had come. The original helmet in my game isn’t terrible, but it’s certainly showing signs of age along with some small sections broken where it attaches to the playfield. Since I had put so much effort into the rest of the game, it felt wrong not to grace the Bride with a new helmet.
The underside of the new helmet looks just as nice.
The lamp boards and flashers were removed from the old helmet first. I’ve found a few of the twist lamp sockets to be unreliable and in fact found one had a broken arm. The broken socket was replaced and fresh solder was applied to the lamp boards to improve their connection with the sockets.
The helmet was reassembled and put back on to the playfield. The helmet was looking better then ever.