All posts tagged budget

My second project is now starting to gather some momentum, so I thought it time to post something more than just a few pictures to share my thoughts, plans and progress.

After being very happy with the results on my Galaga cab, it was inevitable I would begin another at some point. Thanks to an Aussie Arcade member it was sooner than expected with his sale (and my purchase) of an original Wonderboy board. This means the cabinet will be fitted with a horizontal screen. Given the number of games I’ve been playing of my 60in1 board on the Galaga cab, I plan to also install one of those 19 in 1 horizontal game boards also. The thought of twin sticks for Robotron is very appealing 🙂

My first thoughts were to research a cab shape I liked. I couldn’t find anything for Wonderboy that impressed me. I actually can’t recall the cab shape I used to play on all those years ago. I love my Galaga cab – I love the Galaxian cab – and I can’t help but love a good PacMan cab. The colour and artwork is top notch – and a hot looking cab means it will be allowed to live in the home :). Given my experience with putting together a cab with that shape, I decided that was the direction to take. There will be some modifications though which will mean it’s not a proper PacMan cab:
– Horizontal screen
– Screen artwork (will be custom pac man themed)
– Control panel (again pac man themed, not authentic)

It’s also an opportunity to do things a little different this time by addressing some of the issues I encountered last time.

After that was decided, I went through my Galaga plans, and mapped out a purchase list along with a plan. Given I’m on limited funds at the moment, the plan will help get the parts purchased in a good order to keep me working on it and not held up.

First purchase was the wonderboy board:

Continue Reading

At the start of the project, I decided to keep track of money spent to see if I could stay within my budget. I originally set a budget of $900. That was for everything. Wood, paint, artwork, wiring, game board, controls, etc – everything. In the end, I spent just over $1200. I’m not too worried about going over the budget, as originally I was not going to use Galaga artwork, and just some generic art. The side panels, kick plate, marquee and control panel artwork all pushed the cost higher. Without those expenses, I would have been right on budget. With the finished result, I’m glad I spent extra.
Continue Reading