I couldn’t resist digging through the parts box today and doing some cleaning on the extra plastics. Most of these I wont need (thankfully as many have small sections missing), but I wanted to get them cleaned up anyway in case I do need them. Otherwise I can move them on to good homes once the project is complete where they can be useful.
Most (….well all) of these have been sitting around for god knows how long, so are covered in dust and dirt. Eucalyptus oil, Novus 2 and Novus 1 work wonders. There is some fading in one or two of the pieces sadly, but not much I can do about that.
Something I will find useful is the extra visor. This was quite dirty also (not the best angle for the photo).
After some love:
The visor is missing the small decal that sits around the front. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen the decal available as part of a larget set from one of the US / EURO online sellers (maybe even ebay), so sourcing that should be OK. The visor on my machine now has a small broken section on the side, so it’s likely I’ll swap them.
Some spare star posts were put into a container of hot soapy water for awhile and then washed off with warm water and an old toothbrush. A few of these will be tossed as I’m not happy with how they came up, but the rest are perfectly usable if needed.
Lastly the clear vortex ramp cover. Again, very dirty (can barely see through it):
I also got the dremel out and used the polish bit (with some compound) to clean up the metal brackets on it. It’s come up looking quite good. There is some yellowing to the clear, but that’s hard to avoid over time. The one on my machine is still in pretty good condition, so I may not need this one.
Earlier today I removed the current topper – which is made up of two red and blue plastic domes. These look like they have comes from an F14 Tomcat machine. There are quite a few scuff and scrape marks on them sadly. Still usable I guess.
A previous owner / operator cut a small section out of each to feed the wires through.