Work has continued on construction over the last week and a half – although a little slower than I had hoped.
Firstly, I’ve cut out
– speaker hole below the marquee
– IEC switch hole at the back
– passive vent holes on the rear door
– coin door in front panel
I have some vented handles in the mail from Mikes Arcade, which will hopefully arrive in the next few days – so I will revisit the rear door once those arrive and cut out some holes for those too. All these cuts were done after assembly last time – and that was a mistake. Much easier to cut before assembly 🙂
Next up was the side panels. First step was to mark out the desired pacman shape. To assist with this, I rough cut the side panel down to slightly larger than required, put it up against my galaga cab and traced out the shape. The side panel shape is different for Galaga, but it helped having the Galaga side panel outline as a reference as I built up the desired pac man side panel shape.
With the Galaga sample outline on the first side panel, I set to work marking out the pac man side panel shape. Once this was done, I pulled out the jig saw and cut out the first side panel. After some sanding to get it smoothed out I placed the side panel against the second rough cut panel to get my second side panel. Again some jigsawing, followed by sanding – then placing both side panels on top of each other and working out any final flaws – they are ready.
Now on to mark out where the supports will sit. To help with this, I cut up some thin off cuts which had no other use to represent where the panels will sit. Marking these out as I was happy, I could then place the supports where I wanted and marked those out also.
Next up will be cutting the groove for t molding, and spending some time on the coin door. I also have a Midway control panel arriving from Mikes Arcade which I can mark onto the side panel to set up support for those and the screen acrylic.